Sunday, January 9, 2011

"Loved" Necklaces


I love Valentine's Day. It is a day that is great, in it's own right, but most of the reason why I love it is that it's also my birthday. Yep, I am a "Valentine Baby". Do you know how many times I've been called that? Only every time I have to give anyone my birth date. Think about it. That's alot.
I didn't always love sharing my birthday with this holiday. On one of my birthdays, when I was about eight, the only gift I wanted for my birthday was a heart-shaped box of chocolates. I'd never received one before. My aunt and uncle gave me one and it's the only birthday gift that I have a specific memory of from my early years. Then there's high school. Has anyone ever been inside of a high-school secretary's office on Valentine's Day? For four years of high school I spent my birthday listening to everyone else having their name called on the intercom to receive their dozen roses and balloon bouquet.


Now I love having my birthday on Valentine's Day! I get to spend much of the day in my kid's classroom and helping with class parties. It is so fun to me. Sometimes when friends find out when my birthday is, they will make a comment to my husband that goes something like this: "You got lucky, two for one". My husband is better than that. He doesn't take advantage of that two-for-one deal. Usually I receive my Valentine gift in the morning and my birthday presents in the evening. He's very good about distinguishing between the two.


Whether as a young girl or a wife, Valentine's Day had always been special to me. Grandmas and grandpas, aunts, uncles, friends, my children, and my husband have all been great at showing me that I am "Loved".

No comments:

Post a Comment