Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Word About Sterling Silver


Yes, I know I should be dusting and vacuuming. It is Wednesday, after all. I can't help it. I'm good at procrastinating and I feel like writing. I want to talk a bit about sterling silver and this seems like the best place to do it. You should know, and I want you to know, that sterling silver will tarnish. It just happens over time. Here are some tips I've learned. First: Your jewelry will tarnish less the more you wear it. Isn't that cool?!? Most people think the opposite is true. Second: You can find special cloths to remove the tarnish at most craft stores. The picture above shows the one I bought at either Craft Warehouse or Joann's (I can't remember which). I know Hobby Lobby also carries one. Most are two sided. One side is more rough for taking off the tarnish and the other is softer for polishing. They cost $7 or $8 but you can usually find a store coupon for a discount. That's all. Just a little FYI for my customers. Now I should really go and vacuum! Happy February!

1 comment:

  1. i happen to love a bit of tarnish...
    i like to call it "patina"
    with it, the metal shows the passage of time.

    but, like you said wearing silver seems to keep the patina at a minimum. ♥

    ReplyDelete