Saturday, September 28, 2013

Life Lessons in a Cinnamon Roll



Today I did something simple to teach a life lesson.  I encouraged my daughter to buy a cinnamon roll for a boy.  The boy was Jordan.  Olivia asked Jordan to be her partner in trying out for the Swing Dance team at school.  I thought it would be nice for her to get him a treat to say "Thank you".  In my mind I felt this would encourage a few different lessons.  1- Showing gratitude.  2-Recognizing someone else's sacrifice on her behalf (Jordan was happy to do this but it does take some time and effort).  3- Self confidence (You have to be brave, at 11, to give a boy a cinnamon roll).  The list could go on.  It turned out that I couldn't have asked for a better scenario.  We pulled up and Jordan was in the front yard mowing his lawn.  His dad was also there trimming.  Olivia promptly handed the cinnamon roll to me and said "You give it to him."  "No" was my reply.  She quickly jumped out and walked over to Jordan.  He and his dad stopped their motors and anxiously awaited what was about to happen.  Olivia thrust the package at Jordan and said "Thank you for being my swing partner".  He replied "What?"  Apparently she was whispering.   She repeated "Thanks for being my swing partner".  As she turned back to the van, Jordan looked at the gift and his eyes grew like saucers.  He then showed his dad and did a few fist pumps and ran into the house calling "I'll be right back Dad". 
Later I received the following texts from Jordan's Mom.  "I am so in Heaven Mom!!"
 
 And later, this text "You have no idea what she did for him today.  'That cinnamon roll was delicious, but, Mom, Olivia saw me mowing the lawn!"  Looks like Liv wasn't the only one learning life lessons today.
Now we just have to wait until Monday to find out if they made the Eagle Middle School Swing Dance Team.  We are all on pins and needles.

1 comment:

  1. cute!!! Love that! Kids are fun... the things you experience with them every day is priceless!

    ReplyDelete